In this article we will see the best single door refrigerator you can buy in India in 2020. We will look at the cost of single door refrigerator, their annual power consumption and also look at how to select the perfect refrigerator as per your needs.
The fact that you are reading this article means you have made up your mind to buy a single door refrigerator. I extensively browsed through several e-commerce sites, read over 50 single door refrigerators product description and finally shortlisted this list of best single door refrigerators which you can buy in 2020 in India.
Before you go through the list I want to share with you the parameters on which I have done the shortlisting and compiled this list.
- Power Consumption – Refrigerators are long term asset (8 – 12 years) and run continuously on power for their entire life, hence buying a refrigerator that consumes less electricity will give you enormous savings in long term.
- Brand Value – I have given emphasis on the brands presence in India. You will not find a single refrigerator from mediocre brands, only premium brands are considered.
- Product Reviews – All the products in the list have got excellent reviews on amazon and other e-commerce sites. This is a testimony that these refrigerators are good and many people are buying it.
- Cost – If the refrigerator costs a fortune, then it’s not worth buying it. Hence I have only considered refrigerators that offer competitive pricing.
- Energy Saving Stars – If you are buying a single door refrigerator in 2020, then at least buy one which is rated by BEE. You can find the star rating on the sticker of the refrigerator.
Now that you know the parameters on which this list is compiled, let’s have a look at it.
Best Single Door Refrigerator To Buy in India in 2020:
|Name||Inverter Compressor||Compressor Warranty (Years)||Annual Consumption (kWh)||Annual Electricity Bill (Rs)||Cost (Rs)||Amazon Link||Amazon Reviews (4+Star)|
|Godrej 190 L 5 Star ( 2019 ) Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator||Yes||10||120||Rs 1200||Rs 15290||Amazon||195|
|Godrej 196 L 3 Star ( 2019 ) Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator||No||10||210||Rs 2100||Rs 11990||Amazon||177|
|Haier 190 L 2 Star Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator||No||10||212||Rs 2120||Rs 10490||Amazon||212|
|Samsung 192 L 4 Star ( 2019 ) Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator||Yes||10||140||Rs 1400||Rs 16490||Amazon||157|
|Whirlpool 190 L 3 Star (2019) Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator||No||10||203||Rs 2030||Rs 11290||Amazon||3917|
|Samsung 212 L 4 Star ( 2019 ) Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator||Yes||10||175||Rs 1750||Rs 19200||Amazon||21|
|Whirlpool 215 L 4 Star ( 2019 ) Inverter Direct-Cool Single-Door Refrigerator (||Yes||10||171||Rs 1710||Rs 15990||Amazon||116|
|Haier 220 L 4 Star (2019) Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator||No||10||168||Rs 1680||Rs 14490||Amazon||164|
|Godrej 225 L 4 Star ( 2019 ) Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator||Yes||10||165||Rs 1650||Rs 20490||Amazon||111|
NOTE – You would have noticed that LG is not there in the list, the reason for that is I couldn’t find the exact power consumption of LG refrigerators neither on amazon or LG’s website.
Hence, I have decided to keep them away from this comparison. Don’t get me wrong LG is a bankable brand and their refrigerators are awesome, I also found couple of single door refrigerators from LG which are goof and have rave reviews. If you have shortlisted a LG refrigerator for your needs then feel free to buy it.
I feel all the refrigerators in this list are awesome because, they consume less power, are affordable, use the latest technology and offer 10 years compressor warranty. Hence choose any one you like and I bet you won’t regret it.
Just like every other blog on the internet, I don’t want to make the rest of this blog look like a short summary of amazon product description of every refrigerator which I have listed above.
Instead I will share some useful buying and energy saving tips for refrigerators.
If you are not satisfied with the above list and want to select the perfect single door refrigerator by yourself, then consider the following points before shopping for your fridge on amazon or any physical store.
Important thing to consider before buying single door refrigerators:
When we window shop for a refrigerator we often miss the important things that we should look and are focused on the color, how it looks, are we getting a free headset or trolley bag with it, any special feature which we know we are never going to use. This is a wrong approach, hence I have made a short checklist of things which you should look for before buying your single door refrigerator.
- Size of Refrigerator – Before buying your refrigerator, fix the place where you are going to place it and measure the height, breadth and depth. When you shop on amazon or even a physical store just cross check the size of the refrigerator, to make sure that it fits the place where it is to meant be kept.
- Power Consumption – Most fridge today are rated by BEE and have energy star ratings on them. You can check the annual power consumption of your refrigerator from the BEE sticker on the front door of your refrigerator. Buy a fridge that consumes less power.
- Inverter Technology – In an Inverter refrigerator the compressor of your refrigerator runs continuously whereas in a non-inverter refrigerator the compressor turns ON & OFF as per the cooling demand. Inverter refrigerator consumes less power and offer better cooling, hence you should opt for them.
- Star Power – As I already said before, if your budget permits then buy a fridge with more energy saving stars. More stars means more savings in electricity bill.
- Storage capacity – The fact that you are shopping for single door fridge means you are bachelor or have just started a family, but keep in mind fridge is a long term asset (8 – 10 years), hence always buy bigger size fridge because eventually your family will grow.
After buying a refrigerator, next job is to use it in a such way that your electricity bill savings is maximum without sacrificing any performance.
Let me point out few advantages and disadvantages of single door refrigerators, so you can get an idea of what you can expect.
Single door refrigerator advantages:
- Single door refrigerators are the most energy efficient refrigerators. They consume around 30 % to 40 % less power compared to double door refrigerators.
- Comes in compact size of 50 to 250 liters, ideal for bachelors or family upto 3.
- Single door refrigerators are the cheapest refrigerators you can buy. As you saw above even top of the line Single door refrigerators are under Rs 20,000.
- Single door refrigerators occupies very little floor space and volume because of their small capacity, hence good for small rooms.
Disadvantages of single door refrigerator:
- These refrigerators have smaller capacity, at max 250 liters. Hence storage can be a problem if you have some occasion in your house.
- Since single door fridge comes with direct cool technology, they are not frost free. Hence you need to manually defrost.
- Not suitable for large family because storage space is less
- The freezer compartment is usually smaller because of space constraints.
- Storage shelves are smaller, hence bigger vessels or beverage bottles cannot be accommodated.
If you are committed to buy a single door refrigerator than it is imperative for you to how to effectively use it to save your electricity bill without compromising in its performance.
Energy Saving Tips For Refrigerators:
- Keep the refrigerator full – This sounds bizarre but keeping your refrigerator full helps to cut down the power consumption. By full refrigerator I don’t mean to over stuff the refrigerator always keep place for proper air circulation.
- Optimize temperature settings – Most of the refrigerator are running at temperature way below its needed. On an average a temperature of 2 C to 5 C is ideal for fridge compartment and for freezer anything between -10 C to -15 C is good. Don’t overdo the temperature. If you don’t have a thermometer to measure the temperature then just switch your refrigerator setting to normal in normal days and below normal in cold days (use the regulator inside your refrigerator).
- Defrost every week: The layer of ice on the walls of your fridge makes it harder for the evaporator to absorb heat from inside because ice is bad conductor of heat. Hence, defrost every week for best performance.
- Keep refrigerator door closed – Frequent opening and closing of refrigerator door puts unnecessary load on the compressor to cool the fresh warm air that enters the space every time you open the door. If you cut down your door opening frequency you will see a cut in your electricity bill.
- Place refrigerator strategically – Two questions your should ask yourself before finalizing your refrigerator place. First, is the place getting direct sunlight? if yes then look for some other place or restrict the sunlight coming to that place by some means. Second, after placing the refrigerator is there any space between the refrigerator walls and your house wall? Ideally you should keep 6 inches of space on all the three side for proper ventilation. You can check out this awesome article from Samsung on how to place your refrigerator How much free space should I allow around my refrigerator?
- Lifestyle changes – Do not keep hot food directly in the refrigerator. First let the food cool down and then put it in the refrigerator. Periodically clean the evaporator and condenser coils. Keep your food organised so that there is enough space for free movement of air.
You might have read manual defrosting several times in this blog. It sound tedious but in reality it isn’t at all.
How to defrost your refrigerator:
Watch this simple video from LG India to learn how to defrost manually. (It is as simple as push of a button)
Conclusion on best Single door refrigerator:
To conclude I would say all the refrigerators in the above list are worth buying without any doubt, but if I have to pick one which is the best single door refrigerator to buy in India in 2020, then I would pick Whirlpool 215 L 4 Star Inverter Direct-Cool Single-Door Refrigerator and Godrej 190 L 5 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator as both of these has good volume, less power consumption, affordable pricing and inverter technology with 10 years warranty.
If you liked this article and found the content useful, then please share it with your friends on WhatsApp, Facebook, Pinterest, Reddit.
Leave your thoughts in the comments section.
Thank You 🙂